In June I wrote the blog, Informed Delivery-See What's in Your Mailbox Before it Arrives, that describes the USPS' new Informed Delivery technology from a consumer’s perspective. This time I am going to discuss the advantages from a mailer's perspective.
Informed Delivery gives mailers the opportunity to synchronize marketing campaigns with both a physical mail piece and a digital touch point. Mailers can attach a link to each record of a mail.dat file submitted to the post office containing a color image of the non-address side of the mail piece and a link to a website. This will create a "buy now" experience.
Campaigns can be submitted via email (manual) using an Excel file or via PostalOne! Mailers must work with the Informed Delivery Program Office (IDPO) prior to submitting a campaign to ensure content is complete and accurate.
Email Submission Process (Manual)
- Mailer submits campaign data elements via email to the IDPO using an Excel document
- The IDPO manually enters the information into the Administrative Campaign Console
- The IDPO can edit campaigns within the Administrative Campaign Console if needed
- Campaign data must be submitted at least two business days prior to the campaign start date
PostalOne! Submission Process
- Mailer submits campaign data elements electronically with other PostalOne! eDocs (Mail.dat) using a Referenceable Mail Record (RMR)
- The campaign information is routed electronically to the Informed Delivery application
- The IDPO must edit campaigns within the Administrative Campaign Console to manually add the image(s) provided by the mailer via email*
- Campaigns must be submitted at least two business days prior to the requested start date to allow for manual updates by the IDPO
*Campaign images are not available for automatic uploading at this time
Campaign Portal Submission Process
- Mailer logs into the Business Customer Gateway and selects the Informed Delivery Campaign Portal from the list of Mailer Services
- Mailer is directed to the home page of the Informed Delivery Campaign Portal
- Mailer submits campaign data elements and digital assets electronically as part of a step-by-step campaign creation process
- Mailer can edit campaigns within the Informed Delivery Campaign Portal
- Campaigns must be submitted electronically at least 12 hours prior to the requested start date
- Campaigns are still submitted via PostalOne!, however, the functionality will be enhanced to allow for images to be processed automatically
- PostalOne! Mail.dat piece level campaign submission and Mail.XML campaign submission will be available soon (dates TBD)
- All pre- and post-campaign report access will be provided via the Campaign Portal
Look forward to my third blog about the Informed Delivery, coming in a few weeks, where I will discuss the reporting features and provide some examples for using Informed Delivery.